Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ska and Classical: Why are they so unpopular?

I was assigned to write an essay on comparing two not so popular types of music, classical and ska. I’ve been listening to both genres for almost a decade. I’ll go through a couple of subjects of debate between the two. I might have opinions that don’t reflect yours, but I can’t expect everyone to agree with me.

First, I’ll talk about instruments. The instruments used in ska are very old, much like the instruments in classical. As I know of, there are a drum set, a guitar and bass guitar, a saxophone, and some others. These instruments produce a sound similar to rock music, but it doesn’t have any screaming, like most popular bands. The instruments in classical were invented quite some time ago. These were mostly wood and brass instruments, that were popular in the 18th and 17th century, and I think the sound is less pompous, and more melodic. My general reaction to classical was soothing, and rhythmic.

The melody for the two genres is very different from one another. The melody for classical, was slow, and it gets faster. Each verse was unique in concertos. You may have noticed that I talk about ska like it is bad, but I love it just as much as I love bagels. That’s quite a lot, in case you haven’t known me for five seconds. Humor aside, classical is more of a formal genre, while ska is what a normal teenager would listen to at school. For example, The Toasters are a popular ska band. Look them up if you don’t know what I mean.

The popularity of the music is actually not very different. Ska is something you rarely hear in a conversation at school. Classical is only heard in expensive theaters and elevators. In modern day America, ska is considered by people to be a made up word. And if you ask someone what classical is, they’ll most likely talk about classic cars. They are almost totally nonexistent types of music, because most people, (General Public) only care about the top 40. Why would anyone buy something they can listen to for free on the radio?

These two types of music are similar and different in a lot of ways. But most importantly, you should listen to them both, and see what you think about it. I would listen to them both in any situation, under any circumstances. Okay, maybe not, but you get the point. They’re both really good genres. Actually, that’s just an opinion, but I think you would enjoy them quite a lot. Go ahead.

No comments: